Monday, November 30, 2015

Hello Houdini by Jenna Clancy



Dear Houdini,
I’m sorry you’re not cool anymore.
I’m sorry, I love you.
But I’m not.

Then again,
I’m not sorry
I’m
not the new girl you first showed
your tricks.
I

won’t let you cut me in half.

I transitioned from sequins to
leather.
Meanwhile you still hide in
your same
big cloak.

You can’t hold the
handcuffs, but
you can dream.

Because,
a dove flew out of my hat.
And
“Abracadabra” won’t work anymore.
And
sometimes I leave my handkerchiefs where
“I just shouldn’t.”

On three you’ll wake up
from your sloppy little trance.
You’ll realize,
“I’m just an act”,
and boy,
I’m magic.



Jenna Clancy is a recent graduate of Bethany College, and aims to go on to achieve her Masters in Higher Education. She has been published in The Harbinger and The Tower, and hopes to continue her love and practice of the written word.